Tuesday, August 12, 2008
Came across this article while surfing around the internet. Its written by someone named Christopher Leo.
http://blog.uwinnipeg.ca/ChristopherLeo/archives/2007/07/what_is_the_imp.html
I agree with what he says and the impact it has on the earth. It is much easier to trade and buy goods from all countries as they all have a common currency (the US dollar.) Furthermore, all countries are also ruled over by an International court which settles disputes. In my opinion, this prevents many wars from starting as there is a 'middleman' to mediate and settle disputes between countries. One example is the Pedra Branca dispute between Malaysia and Singapore. This dispute was settled in the International Court and Pedra Branca was awarded to Singapore. Recently, South Korea has been encouraged to give up its nuclear weapons so as to ensure the security of other countries.
Another impact that globalisation has on politics is that it is now possible for countries to work together towards a common goal. One example is the Kyoto Protocol, aimed at reducing the amount of greenhouse gases so as to stop global warming. Under this Protocol, countries are divided into Annex I (developed countries) and non- Annex I countries (developing countries). Annex I countries are legally binded to a contract, requiring them to lower their GHG levels, while non-Annex I countries can take part in projects to lower their GHG levels.
One positive impact of globalisation is that it is easier to receive help in times of disaster as information travels faster through the internet. For example, in the Sichuan earthquake recently, many countries sent out aid teams to help dig out bodies in the rubble, in hope of finding someone alive. Teams were also sent out to rebuild the homes of the people in Sichuan.
Yup, these are a few impacts of globalisation on politics. :D
Labels: Globalisation and Technology
avoid the aliens;
9:56 PM